Friday, March 17, 2017

Selah Bible Study Review

Shelley Noonan from Pumpkin Seed Press has created a new bible study she calls Selah. I've seen this word in scripture before, but I never really understood what it meant.

Selah means pause and listen. And that is exactly what you do with this bible study. Each week, you are given a new section of scripture to study. After you read the passage, you begin to fill in the study journal. There are sections for listing the people in the passage, for looking up words you don't know, and for noting any questions you might have.

There's also a section for recording how God revealed an attribute (or more) of his character. She includes samples of this in the back to help you.

And there are sections to write your observations of the passage, and sections to write how you can apply what you learned to your own life. There's a spot to jot down a verse or 2 that maybe jumped out, the main theme of the scripture. And, of course, a section for prayer.

If this all sounds daunting, have no fear. There are instructions in the beginning. I was a little overwhelmed when I first started this study, thinking I had no idea how to do it, or if I was going to get anything out of it.

But, I must say, it's one of the better bible studies I've ever done.

There's so much to think about, but in the end, it's all about pausing and listening to what God is really trying to say to you. There's no need to do a big, complicated bible study. There's no need to rush through it at a chapter or two (or three!) a day. Everything God wants us to know is right there in his word. All we have to do is listen to him.

Another great thing about this study, is you read the same passage every day for a week. I don't know about you, but I can read the same scripture several times and get something different out of it each time. That's the purpose in this study. Read it again and again and again to make sure you understand what God meant for you when he inspired it.

I really enjoyed this bible study. If you'd like to read more about it, you can go to the Selah website. This study (it's on the book of Ruth) will be available at the end of April. And, trust me, you'll want to grab a copy when it's available.

I received a free copy of this study in exchange for an honest review.