Saturday, March 25, 2017

A Ghostly Mortality Review

Tonya Kappes is definitely one of my favorite mystery authors. Her characters are humorous, her stories are easy to read and engaging. She has a way of weaving a tale that makes you want to come back for more.

That's why I was excited to read this book. Emma Lee Raines is a "Betweener," she can see the ghosts of murder victims. She needs to help solve the murders so the ghost can cross over. Fun premise, right? I thought so too. In this particular book, Emma Lee's client is her sister, Charlotte. *tear*

I wanted to like this book. I did. And I really tried to like it. But in the end, I was glad it was over. Not a lot of investigating was done by Emma. Also, the biggest clue did not even happen in this book, it happened in the last book. It appeared in this book as a flashback. There was so much potential in this book that was never used, so many plot components that were never expanded upon.

I'm not one that likes it when the killer is pulled out of left field. This was done here. The killer didn't even have a name for the longest time. I understand crafting the story so your readers are guessing until the end. But the killer should at least be a character in the story, not someone that was barely mentioned twice.

I will continue to read any books in the series that Mrs. Kappes continues to write, because I've grown attached to the citizens of Sleepy Hollow, KY. And because I am a fan of her work. But I did not care for this particular novel. And that's ok. It's not possible to please everyone all the time. Even Agatha Christie annoyed me with the ending of Murder on the Orient Express. And that's supposed to be one of her best ever. I disagree. And that's ok.

*Note: if you choose to read this book, please know that the ghost is Emma's sister, so it's a bit of a tearjerker at the end. Have tissues ready.