Tuesday, May 19, 2015

My Personal Testimony

I was bullied in school. Badly. I was never beat up (I guess because I'm a girl?), but elementary school and middle school were the worst years of my life. My Freshman and Sophomore years in high school were better because I was pretty much ignored. Being ignored is better than bullied. By far.

Then, in my junior year, I met someone that came to be my best friend. Her name was Keli. We hung out a lot. We had lunch together (at school, and elsewhere during the summer), we went shopping together, we even had sleepovers. Then she took me somewhere else... church.

Now, I had been to church several times. I had actually grown up in church. But, as a kid with ADD, in a church with no kid's church, it was boring! They had Sunday School before the main church service, but then the kids had to sit in on the regular church service with the adults. (I don't think i need to tell you how hard that can be for a little kid... to sit still and be quiet for an hour.) By the time I'd approached high school, I stopped going. Because it was so dull!

But after high school was over, when Keli took me to her church, I was not bored. There was music (not just an organ, but actual music), which my young adult heart loved. But even more than that, the pastor was energetic and passionate. And he was teaching on something that seemed as though it was written just for me! He was talking about how to get to heaven. Growing up in church, I had been taught that you need to do more good deeds than bad. This way, hopefully, you can earn entrance into heaven. But this pastor was saying that all you had to do was accept God's gift of salvation. Make Jesus the Lord and Savior of your life. That's it. I was flabbergasted. I couldn't believe that's all there was to it!

I called the church and made an appointment to speak to some of the staff members. I had so many questions. At the end of this meeting (I was there over 2 hours), I gave my heart to the Lord. And I've never been happier.

Yes, bad things have happened. No, life has not been easy. But now I know that no matter what happens to me, I know I'm not walking through this life alone. And I know, I'm positive, that when this life is over, I have a home waiting for me in eternal paradise with my Lord.

*Next blog post: Why we homeschool our boys.