Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day

Today, in the United States, is Memorial Day. Today is a day to remember the fallen soldiers that lost their lives to protect the freedoms we enjoy in these great United States.

Some people choose to treat it like Veteran's Day, which is a holiday to celebrate veterans of the military and to thank them for their contribution to our country.

These holidays are not the same thing.

Veteran's Day is a day of celebration. It is a day to say "thank you" to our men and women in uniform that fought (and continue to fight) for the country they love. We take off work, we grill burgers, and in some places, we even set off fireworks. We celebrate, and with good reason.

Memorial Day is not a happy occasion, but a solemn one. The people we are remembering on Memorial Day lost their lives in the fight to keep this country free. I, for one, do not feel that today is a day to celebrate. It is a day to pray for our soldiers, their families, and our country.

So please excuse me if I do not wish you a "Happy Memorial Day." Instead, I will pray for our fallen heroes and their families. I will hug my family, and will wish everyone a Blessed Memorial Day.